To start playing the guitar, you have to go through some finger practice & exercises. Now to start, if you are good with some chords & you are practicing them over and over again, without doing or learning any other lessons, you are probably killing your time to learn actual guitar.
The actual pain is gaining strength in your fingers so that you can play the guitar more smoothly soon. Before starting the lessons, I would want you to go through the alternate picking techniques so that you can start these lessons applying the method.
Guitar finger exercises are a lot, like any other activities. If you are planning to master this technique of playing guitar or sherd a guitar in future, you have to do these exercise every day. 15mins a day should be enough if you agree to do this continuously. Its is similar to working out, it’s just that you are working your fingers out to make them ready for the long pieces of music, you are gonna play.
In this article you shall learn the 3 finger exercises of guitar that every beginner should learn.
Here are the tabs for lesson 1.
Tips for playing:
- When you are placing your little finger on the string, make sure the other 3 fingers are also on the string on the correct frets. This helps your little finger to move better & create more stretch between your fingers. Holding your 3 fingers on the frets while placing your little finger on the string will create more tension in your fingers & will help you to make your fingers reliable, fast.
- Don’t keep your fingers flat. Instead, keep them a slightly rounded. This would help you to put only your fingertips on the string rather than the whole finger which would dampen the sound produced.
- Make sure you are using the alternate picking technique.
- While playing this as a beginner, you may often touch other strings. Though this could be slightly irritating, I would suggest avoiding paying attention to that. Eventually, with practice & time, you would play flawlessly. But, trying to dampen the other strings, to prevent their sound as a beginner could affect your exercise’s efficiency.
- Don’t over practice. 15 mins a day should be maximum. Remember, if you want to run a marathon, you need to take smaller steps rather than giving out everything you have for a short run.
- Use a metronome to start practicing finger practice. Use a 60 BPM with a 4/4 beat to start.
This lesson is a bit more complicated. However, if you are done with lesson 1 & you can play it with the metronome smoothly, you are good to start this lesson.
Tips would same as lesson 1, use a metronome & play with alternate picking techniques.
This lesson will combine exercise for palm muting & alternate picking. If you are done with lesson 1 & 2, this should be a cakewalk.
- Play all the open notes (0) in the palm-muted method. Use your right hand(left hand for left-handed guitarists) with which you are picking the strings to mute the string by holding it lightly (dampening) while you pick the string.
- Use Alternate picking technique without fail.